Dog scent boxes, also known as scent work or nose work boxes, are a great way to engage your dog’s sense of smell and provide mental stimulation. Here’s how you can make a dog scent box:
- Cardboard box
- Fabric or felt
- Scent materials (such as cotton balls or fabric strips)
- Take a cardboard box and remove any tape or stickers.
- Cut off the flaps from the top of the box.
- Cut pieces of fabric or felt to fit the inside of the box. You can use one color or multiple colors.
- Glue or tape the fabric/felt to the inside of the box.
- Take the scent material (such as cotton balls or fabric strips) and add a scent to it that you want your dog to find. You can use essential oils, herbs, or spices. Some common scents for dog scent work include birch, anise, and clove.
- Place the scented materials inside the box, under the fabric/felt.
- Fold the flaps down to cover the box.
To use the scent box, simply open the flaps and let your dog search for the scented materials. Start with an easy scent and gradually increase the difficulty as your dog becomes more skilled at finding the scents. Make sure to supervise your dog while they are using the scent box and reward them for finding the scents.